Grade 6 Field Trips
YouthLink Calgary has been delivering crime prevention programs to Calgary grade six students since 1994. This program was created to support the crime prevention strategy of the Calgary Police Service, and was designed to fill the need of educating youth at the cusp of facing issues related to crime and victimization. Currently, this program reaches over 6,000 Calgary youth per year, which includes nearly 60% of Calgary’s Grade 6 students.
Students learn critical information to help them successfully prepare for and recognize pressures and challenges surrounding CPS identified priority crime issues. Teachers select 3 Safe for Life Presentations to target the specific needs of their students or school regarding drugs, gangs, relationships, online safety and bullying.
Students also participate in an extensive forensics experience that demonstrates the important role police place in community safety. This experience also educates participants on the consequences of participating in crime as well as acting as a by-stander to friends committing criminal acts.
Youth aged 11-12, Calgary youth on the cusp of facing crime-related pressures and challenges.
Main Goals of Program
- Develop positive decision-making skills to avoid criminal behaviour and victimization.
- Provide information about key issues identified by the Calgary Police Service (teachers select 3 of the five Safe for Life Presentations to focus on current issues relating to their students).
- Acquire an understanding of the important roles of police and citizens pay in community safety.
- Develop an appreciation for self-reflection, taking responsibility and getting help.
- Increase perception of a deserving future and self-worth.
- Introduce effective behavioral skills for reducing anxiety, impulse behaviour and aggression.
- Increase knowledge of and reduce negative stigma of substance abuse and addiction.
- Increase accessing resources for support.
- Click here full program details and participation details.
An engaging team of Educators and CPS Auxiliaries
YouthLink Educators are selected for their approachable demeanour and passion for helping kids stay safe. Each Educator is trained to deliver the true and expert intel supplied by the Calgary Police Service relating to each Safe for Life Presentation (Drugs, Gangs, Healthy Relationships, Online Safety and Bullying). In-uniform CPS Auxiliaries both support and deliver our programs, provide a uniform presence, assisting in breaking down barriers of law enforcement.
Educators are also trained on how to respond to concerning questions and/or disclosures, which implements a safety net for students who may reach out for help.
This program is in high demand by teachers across Calgary and has booked to capacity each year since opening the new facility. Feedback from teachers and students is collected in an ongoing process to measure the impact of this program and inform changes.