Real Intel from the Experts
Our inside connection to the Calgary Police Service takes you straight to the front line of Calgary’s current crime-related issues. Officers from every District, Specialty Unit and Department have armed us with the most critical and up-to-date information available. If it’s happening in Calgary – streets, schools or City – we know about it. We use these facts to keep kids safe; every exhibit, experience and presentation is filled with the information and stories your kids need to hear. We want to thank the Calgary Police Service for supplying our team with this on-going information.
Gangs in Calgary
- Gangs in Calgary are recruiting as early as elementary school.
- How do Gangs successfully influence young people to join? Hear it straight from a real gang member’s mouth. The Guns and Gangs Unit helped us obtain an exclusive, in-prison interview with one of Calgary’s top players; let him tell your kids what to avoid.
- What’s life really like in prison? This hard criminal also describes his current life of consequence – and it aint pretty.
- Visitors can also take an exclusive video tour inside a notorious gang’s living quarters. Discover the sad reality of living a life in fear – it’s nothing like what you see in the movies.
- Police Officers deployed to schools across the City assisted in the design of our Bullying Exhibit.
- These officers have seen the worst of bullying, and want it to stop. We used their examples to tell real life stories that evoke empathy, offer insight and teach the skills kids need to overcome the life long challenges of bullying.
- Using this intel, we take a unique approach to reducing bullying, including educating kids on the legal implications using real stories of how those affected got help by the Calgary Police.
- Do you know the top 10 drugs likely to be offered to youth today? Thanks to our City’s Drug Experts, we do, and we’re here to share our knowledge.
- Our exhibits and presentations offer a detailed look into the current dangers of drugs and substance abuse – from experimentation to addiction. We lay out the consequences and tell kids the straight facts that are documented by officers every day.
- We know kids are hearing misinformation from their friends. We know experimentation with street drugs is happening across all socio-economic populations within Calgary.
- Here we let facts and hard truths provide the foundation of making good choices surrounding drugs and addiction.
- Online predators continue to find new ways to prey on youth. The CPS Cyber Crimes Unit provides us with on-going updates that are vital for safety among the quickly changing world of technology.
- Using this information, we developed an interactive learning experience that focuses on the most pressing safety issues: secure passwords, information sharing, how to report crime when you see it and the consequences associated with online offenses.
- We teamed up with CPS’ Youth Crime Prevention Teams and School Resource Officers to gain a true understanding of the stresses and dangers associated with today’s relationships.
- We understand that the majority of our visitors will at some point face challenges related to domestic violence, neglect and mental health.
- To set kids up for a future of success, we created video scenarios that focus on these real issues, which are typically not talked about at home or at school. Each scenario demonstrates two people engaging in a common form of conflict that may or may not require police assistance. Group discussions about each scenario builds a lasting ability to recognize healthy and unhealthy characteristics. Visitors practice identifying dangers and learn how to get help when they need it.
- The CPS Crime Forensic Crime Scenes Unit worked with our team for an entire year during the design process of our facility. The result? An awesome interactive Forensics Lab filled with real-world experiments, actual evidence on display and Calgary’s best stories of true crime.
- Currently our lab focuses on expert knowledge in Fingerprint Comparisons, Blood Spatter Analysis, Ballistics, Hair and Fibre and other evidence collection and comparison techniques.
- Keeping a major city safe is no easy feat – it takes thousands of moving parts, critical thinking, continuous training and speciality tools.
- For the first time ever, we’ve unveiled these moving parts to the citizens of Calgary. With the help of each CPS Unit, including Canine, Tactical Team, Major Crimes, HAWCS, and the Public Safety Unit, visitors get a behind-the-scenes look into the important role that each Unit (and citizen) plays in community safety.